top of page



Here are two snowy scenes at Tigger House about fourteen years ago, during our first winter before we had built any dog pens in the yard.  At right is Foxy, our first rescued dog. She came from the streets to live at the shelter when it first opened in the fall of 2004. She stayed with us as our beloved unofficial guard dog for fourteen years, welcoming friendly visitors and barking at strangers, until she passed away of old age last year.




These are scenes of our outdoor dog pens and houses at the shelter.  The larger pens can accommodate up to eight dogs or families of mothers with many puppies.  We often rescue mother dogs who are about to give birth on the streets or have just delivered.  One night we rescued a mother dog and four pups from a traffic circle in the city. Several days later it was destroyed by a bombing.  The mom was eventually adopted by a family in Alaska and her pups found other happy homes. 





Tigger House is showing improvement over the years.  This is a brand new inside cage at the shelter, one of ten indoor cages that we built for dogs and cats recovering from surgery and illnesses. Foxy is inside it after being spayed. This is our main shelter room about ten years ago, with a wood stove and no furniture.  We still use a wood stove but have much more equipment and better facilities now, including cozy isolation rooms, small heaters for cats, and strong cement outdoor houses with room for several dogs each to keep warm in winter. 


These three pups had just arrived from a military base in southern Afghanistan, where they were rescued by a soldier.  They traveled for many hours by car on a hot summer day and were very thirsty. The white dog had recently been rescued from the street, healthy but scared from a hard life fending for himself. Here he is feeling safe and at peace for the first time in his life.


Here we have a rescued mother dog who no longer has to forage in the garbage to feed her pups.  Also shown is a friendly male dog waiting to be adopted.  We have room for more than forty dogs in our main clinic and a second overflow shelter where we keep long-term guests. We try to find homes for every friendly healthy dog we have, and we vaccinate and sterilize each one that comes to us. We can only help a few of the thousands who survive on their own without protection, but we do not euthanize any animals unless they cannot be saved from severe trauma or illness. We keep each one as long as it takes to find them a permanent loving home. 



These are cats on their way to a better life.  This cat arrived at Tigger House after being flown by helicopter from a US military base to Kabul in this box. The message says it all!!! He stayed with us until we were able to get him to the family of his soldier in the USA. The orange cat is Naranji, a scrappy little street cat who barely survived the past winter after coming down with a severe respiratory infection. She recovered and came home to Virginia last month, where she spends her days playing with ping pong balls and wrestling with her roommate, pancake. Tigger house is always full of cats, so please consider adopting one!!!!!


These are two Tigger House legends.  King Kong was an abandoned fighting dog who nearly died from starvation and wounds.  We found him in a garbage dump several years ago, emaciated and covered with sores, and brought him to Tigger house.  He recovered and became our faithful friend for life, even learning how to play for the first time.  Ahu was a tiny hound who was rescued from an airport parking lot. She came to the USA and was adopted by a couple in Connecticut.  She also visited elderly residents at a retirement center there, where she made them smile and remember the dogs they had once known.




Minnow and Rani are both miracle dogs who overcame extreme trauma and illness at Tigger House and recently came to the USA and happy homes. Minnow the small black hound was attacked by a larger dog and severely bitten all over her body. Dr. Yasin treated her wounds every day for many weeks until she recovered. Several months ago, she came to the US and was adopted by a wonderful family in Milwaukee, where a group of friends is helping us find adopters. Rani the tiny tan shepherd was found almost dead of starvation in a trash heap one year ago by a friend of Tigger House named Samim, who died tragically in a bombing several months later. Rani gradually recovered and came home to Virginia in July.


This is Stormy, our first rescued donkey who came to live at Tigger House last year. Like many donkeys who work carrying heavy burdens or pulling carts, she had a number of severe open wounds on her back.  Dr. Yasin treated her while she was at Tigger House and then she was sent to live with a farm family who takes good care of her. Since then, we have treated dozens of working donkeys like Stormy, many of whom have much worse wounds. Dr. Yasin treats them once a week and works to persuade their drivers and owners to let them rest so their wounds can heal. We recently rented a safe covered shed and yard, where we can keep four donkeys at a time. 


One of our veterinarians, Dr. Yasin, treats dogs at the shelter.  Here he is treating a dog with a serious stomach ailment that was brought in by its afghan owner, with help from our assistant vet Zulaikha.  The next picture him treating a dog with a fever who later recovered. The shelter has a pharmacy of veterinary medicines, and the two staff vets often treat wounds from accidents or bites, abscesses, respiratory infections, mange, and intestinal infections including Parvovirus. Our second vet, Dr. Rahmat, spays and neuters all rescued dogs and cats for adoption. 


Here we have two very special dogs. This is our dear friend Marty with her beloved dog Dosty. She was rescued as a puppy in a blizzard in Kabul in 2002. I brought her home and Marty and her husband adopted her.  She lived with them for many years in Maryland as a delightful and sweet companion, and she passed away early this year of old age and infirmities.  This is Pam with Company, a dog who was hit by a car years ago and brought to our shelter.  One leg was too damaged to save and it was amputated.  Company lived with us for more than five years, always wagging her tail and hopping around.  She passed away this year and everyone at Tigger House misses her very much.

bottom of page